Non-Citizens and Car Accident Settlements


Here in the State of Florida, we are located in close proximity to many locations abroad. Whether here for education, work, leisure, or otherwise, individuals from around the world reside in our beautiful state. With such a central location for international residents, Florida is home to many non-US citizens. 

With this in mind, we must consider the concerns that can come with non-citizens and car accidents. How might this affect your settlement as a non-citizen if you’ve recently been involved in a car accident? 

Claiming Compensation as a Non-Citizen

Fortunately, whether an individual is a citizen of the US or not, our laws protect non-citizens from discrimination in pursuit of fair compensation in a car accident case or any personal injury for that matter. 

However, this does only go so far – there are additional requirements to ensure that you’re protecting yourself prior to the occurrence of an accident. Of course, you’ll want to abide by the law and carry a valid driver’s license, adequate car insurance and operate a properly registered vehicle. Ensuring that you’re driving lawfully will help any settlement that you may encounter.

Undocumented Residents and Car Accident Settlements

According to Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles as mentioned above, a non-citizen can obtain a valid driver’s license in the State of Florida. The requirements for a driver’s license are: proof of identification, proof of social security, and proof of residential address. 

Such requirements may make it difficult or nearly impossible for an undocumented resident to drive legally since they likely would not have a valid driver’s license. With this being said, such circumstances do not forfeit an undocumented individual in their right to seek fair compensation. 

The same can be said in the case that an undoumented, non-citizen is injured as a passenger in a car accident. Any individual has the right to pursue fair compensation in any circumstance that was caused by the negligence of another person. 


A Note on Insurance

If you have been injured as a result of being involved in an accident of any kind that was caused by negligence, you can file an insurance claim against the individual at fault. 

This can get tricky as a non-citizen or undocumented individual. Insurance companies do not want to give up any compensation if they don’t have to and they’ll do almost anything to get out of it. 

They may ask you for information, such as, your social security number. Insurance companies are notorious for asking questions that have no relevance to the claim being made. They’ll try their best to get you to give them information that they can use against you when it comes time for the settlement. 

The best thing you can do if you’ve been injured in a car accident as a non-US citizen is to speak with an attorney as soon as possible. Having an experienced professional on your side as you navigate your way through the dealings with slimy insurance companies can help the settlement process drastically. To get the compensation you deserve, contact one of our attorneys today. 

More to explore

5 Tips For Motorcycle Safety By Pipas law Group

5 Tips For Motorcycle Safety

Cruising the roads on your motorcycle can be a fun way to get around! In the summer, it’s hard to resist the

Questions? Comments? Drop them below!

Scroll to Top